When I was contacted to review the Schlage Keyless Door Lock, I was thrilled. I have always hated my front door lock. It is difficult to open, I often can’t tell if it is locked or not and because of this, I never use my front door. Well the wonderful folks at Schlage contacted me and asked me to review their Keyless Door Lock. They have several choices of styles, colors and door lock types. I choose the deadbolt lock in aged bronze to replace the lock on my front door.
I have heard many moms say that installation was a piece of cake and I’d have to agree. I didn’t do it myself, but had my Dad do it for me and it took him about 30-45 minutes. It took a little longer than some others have quoted because my door wasn’t quite configured properly, so we had to really squeeze it in. But once it was installed it was SUPER EASY to program and EVEN EASIER to use.
What I liked:
1) This lock is very good looking. so no matter how fancy your door is, you’ll love to have this lock as an addition.
2) This lock is super easy to program. I can have separate codes for my housekeeper and my neighbor – I can activate and de-active the codes as needed. This keeps my house safe and secure and doesn’t compromise the security of the code that I use myself. The “master” code is for my husband and I to use – and no one else uses it. When we go away and we have the neighbor watch our house, they get a code that is easy for them to remember. The housekeeper only comes once every two weeks, so she also has her own unique code that is easy for her to remember. When I change housekeepers or go away on vacation, I can deactivate her code in a jiffy!
3) This lock is even easier to use! I LOVE LOVE LOVE not having to dig around for my keys when I am coming home. I just punch in my 4-digit entry code and my door is ready to be opened. It is fantastic!! If I am carrying groceries or carrying my son, all I have to do is punch in my code and I am good to go! If I am in the car and I forget something, I don’t have to turn off the car and take my keys with me. I just run up the front steps and open the door. Did I mention that I love this feature?…And for a new mom carrying a baby and a diaper bad and god-knows what else – this lock is a LIFE-SAVER! Now that I have one for the front, I’d love one for the back and side doors as well!
4) The inside is as easy as the outside. To lock the door, I simply turn the lever to the lock position. To unlock, turn it again. It couldn’t be easier. It’s so easy, that I have a child-proof knob on the handle so that my son doesn’t escape all by himself!
What I wish this lock had:
1) This list is going to be short….in summary, I wish this lock either came in more colors or had matching door handles that could be purchased along with it. I love the aged bronze color, but it doesn’t really match my existing hardware. My hardware is aged bronze (but a different shade) on the outside and shiny bronze on the inside. I would like to have either been able to match my existing hardware better (different color outside than in) or even better yet, get new hardware for my door to match this beautiful lock! Schlage does sell handlesets separate from the keyless lock, but they have regular locks included, so it doesn’t’ appear that they have just the handle to pair up with the keyless lock.
The Schlage locks, in all of the styles and finishes, are available nationally at The Home Depot, Lowe’s Home Improvement stores, and Menard’s.
Do you have keyless entry on any of your doors? What do you like about it? Do you wish you had it? How would you use it if you did?